Our local partners screen applicants thoroughly. At a minimum, the potential client must be or have:
- Good moral character by good standing in the community as well as any associations or organizations of which they are a member;
- At least 3 years in operation with a clear indication of sustainability;
- Able to generate income to repay the loan (business must show at least 3 years of profitability);
- Compliant with legal requirements such as the payment of required taxes, permits etc.;
- Free of any legal process involving non-payment of loans, non-compliance with legal contracts and/or involvement in illegal activities;
- Verifiable experience in debt servicing (no past due loans with any private or government lending institutions or banks);
- Socially relevant: the business offers clear and solid benefit to it's stakeholders, such as: employment generation, care for labourers and other workers, payment of wages and taxes, adherence to principles of fair trade, care for the environment, concern for the community at large.
Our local partners will never finance the following projects:
- Projects that cause harm to people and the environment;
- Projects that are illegal and immoral;
- Projects that exploit and/or employ children younger than 16 years of age.